Sign in to follow this  
Elwez

Wind Power

7 posts in this topic

As of now, the plan with our property is to power it strictly with solar panels.   We've seen solar power all over Chile, from rooftop water heaters, to panels on rooftops that power homes and condo's, to solar panels in the fields that power the vineyard pumps.   In addition to solar, we are thinking about adding a windmill on the property to diversify our power sources.   We think it makes sense.  If we go through a long period of time with cloudy skies, we can always rely on the wind to keep the lights on.  There is plenty of wind out on the property to generate power, so we know it can produce energy with the right windmill.   However, the only windmills we've seen in Chile are large industrial ones on Routa 5 just south of La Serena. 

Does anyone know if Chile has it's own supplier of windmills and wind powered parts, or will everything need to be imported from abroad?  Anything imported comes with a built in cost, so it would be great to know if there is a local supplier.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Elwez

I have seen a few windmills on Ruta 5 on the way to San Fernando. I think it was on Copec gas station. That is the size of a windmill you are looking for. However, I was not able to find reasonably priced units yet. Like everything in Chile, if it is rare, they will try to charge you 5-7 times of what it is worth. I do not recall now, it has been a while, but I remember in one store they asked something crazy high.

I think it is a great idea to start asking on the forum for tips where we can get stuff. Eventually, we will get an answer.

I see an array of wind turbines for sale online.  I'm willing to bet I could buy a turbine and split the parts across a couple of suitcases.  I will look into packing one on my next trip down there.

I checked many turbines on Amazon. Reviews on them are not that good, I would like to find something of better quality that will last a long time. Prices, of course, are much better than here. I can't guarantee that but I believe for something like you posted above they were asking $4 -4.5K. We need to locate something reliable and reasonably priced. Both of those qualities are a rare find in Chile.

Have you looked into vertical wind turbines? Less noise and I believe it is easier to set it on the roof. Several years ago I saw a commercial of Vortex bladeless turbine. They had some promising units about to be delivered to the market but they are not there yet. I checked their website and their 3KW unit is not there anymore, just a little 100W?! I like their idea, will see if they can deliver.

Ok.  I'll keep looking on my end.  I'll bet you're right about the cost in Chile.  It will probably end up being too expensive there.  If we can locate something in the states that we think will work out, I'll bring it down during my next visit.

I'll start looking into vertical wind turbines as well.  Mounting wind power to the roof clears up more room on the land for fruit and nut trees, so I am all for that option.