Sign in to follow this  
Sophia

Looking to move to Chile, need advice

9 posts in this topic

What would be the number one thing to bring to Chile. Is there anything that I should prioritize when preparing for a move?

Edited by Sophia

Sophia, number one what you should bring here, something that is more valuable than any furniture you can ship is language. To speak Spanish would be the most I would work on when preparing to move to Chile. 

I do speak 3 languages, but when it comes to Spanish, I have to take my interpreter with me to get important things done. It's quite inconvenient!

I just started learning Spanish. With so many Spanish speaking people in Texas and the chance for a better paying job, I regret I haven't started earlier.
I found the App Memrise and downloaded it to my smartphone. Loved it right away. This App has audio and memory techniques. This helps me to learn the correct spelling and make connections between words and their meanings. The tests help to make sure I recall the concept.
The App is more than a flashcard learning system. I can customize options in order to make it fit the way I learn easiest.
Maybe it'll help you as it helped me.
My recommendation is to use the free version first and buy the PRO version only if you like it.
Keep us posted how your process goes.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin! We have many Spanish-speaking people here in Kansas, as well as some great Mexican food!  One of my best friends in high school's father owned La Posada on South Oliver. Like you, I should have started then as well. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. No time like the present to start learning something new. I will give it a shot and see if you can teach old dog new tricks! Thank you very much for your response and participation. Let me know if you think I may be able to help you in anyway

Best regards, Steve

I also have Memrise downloaded and used it a bit. However, I do prefer "Pimsleur Approach." With that program, you get audio discs where you listen and repeat. But it is not just repeating vocabularies; they mimic the way a child would learn to speak. Their way is a very natural way for your brain to learn a new language.
It only takes 30 minutes a day, and I really like that I can do that while driving, cooking or cleaning.
Check out this video.

Thank you Rufina,

This does sound to me like a more natural way, or  and I do want the best bang for the buck. I'll look at both. I was thinking Rosette Stone however this sounds like a better method.

Learning the language does sound to be the best prepparation skill.

Very best!

Steve

Thank you! Actually, that makes sense. Being able to communicate is very important. That's one of those things that I know I need to start but keep on putting it off.

But I also have another question. Does it make sense to ship my car to Chile? How are the prices on cars in Chile? Does it make sense to pay the cost to ship or is it easier to buy one there?

Sophia, sorry, I have overlooked your last question somehow.
Regarding shipping your auto to Chile. I do not have personal experience to give you qualified advice. However, based on the research that we have done, it is too complicated and costly to do it. The prices here are about the same on some cars and for some, slightly higher. Just save your time and energy, you will be able to find plenty of options here. Prices on cheap vehicles in Chile are overall higher. In the US you will have much more options. If you are buying something for let's say USD 10K and higher, you will be ok. Be careful and have someone to assist you. Most cars will have their odometer adjusted to get a better price. Stay away from any red trucks, those are used in mining here, and after a few years, they try to dump those to the market. Just make sure you have a trusted mechanic help you with your purchase. Hope this will help, good luck.