Sign in to follow this  
smfitz@excite.com

Health care

The healthcare here in Chile is somewhat similar to the US.
You can choose which company you want to buy insurance from. Different companies will cover different hospitals. For example, I recently got a few quotes and the best kind of coverage with the best kind of hospitals is a bit lower than the premium I was paying in the US but slightly higher than I paid in Germany.  That was top of the line coverage in hospitals in Las Condes, the nicer parts of Santiago. You can also find less expensive coverage, still in nice areas of Santiago or a few hours away in smaller cities and of course, you can choose to pay very low premiums, but you will always get what you pay for. The hospitals might be not as nice and the waiting time for appointments might be longer.  A little bit of research needs to be done to make sure you like the quality of hospitals and services.
They give you a quote based on male or female (male are always less expensive here) and age. They also want to do a full exam before signing a contract. As soon as someone is pregnant, the premium goes up.Once the exam is passed, and all paperwork is signed, you have a 2 month waiting period until you can start using the services while you are paying the premium.

Thank you Rufina,

Nearly anything would be an improvement over "Obamacare" I

Is there a minor emergency care center close to the development?  Do you have any Doctors who have expressed interest choosing this gated community for a Plan B? It would be mighty handy if we had someone who was at least trained as an EMT living there with us.

Very Best Regards, Steve

There is a minor emergency care about 7 miles away from the property, but it is open only during the daytime.
About 28 miles from the property in Santa Cruz is a nice, big hospital with many services. Open 24 hours.
I'll attach a few pictures of the hospital in this message.

Regarding the second question.
We have a couple from the States that is interested in living in the subdivision. She is practicing natural medicine.
Also, next week, we have visitors from Buenos Aires, Argentina coming to check out our project. One of them will stay and work in construction. His sister is a nurse. They are very interested in this subdivision and might relocate to Chile with the whole family.

3c2d88ce4e5bcadfae1124b8619787e6.jpg

Hospital-Santa-Cruz-4-1024x640.jpg

index2.jpg

We've found the medical care here to be very good, but not what we're used to. And the quality between different clinics (hospitals in the US) can be vastly different.

Expertise in Santiago is top notch. And you may find that it's far superior to what you're used to in the US. In large cities there will likely be at least one clinic that compares, but nothing that's as good as the best in Santiago (Las Condes, Alemana, Santa Maria, Davila and maybe a couple more).

Insurance in Chile is like it used to be in the US, with a PPO slant. Generally, you can pick your hospitals that give you the best coverage and go from there. You can also get a secondary insurance to cover the balance for emergencies. It will often cover non-emergencies as well. Some hospitals will automatically charge insurance while others will require you to file for a reimbursement from insurance.

Doctors are largely the same. You get contract rates if they're affiliated with your insurance. Some will be plugged into the system so you can pay while there. But you need to know in advance, because if they aren't then you pay the full price up front and don't get reimbursed as much as you'd saved if they were plugged in directly. To avoid this, you pay the boleta in advance through your insurance company and take the receipt with you to show that you've already paid the doctor. This will generally save you at least 5 mil, maybe more.

I know a guy who can set you up with Banmedica, if you're interested. His English is good. With most companies here, the person who signs you up only gets paid for the original contract. They do not get paid for your continued payments. It's kinda weird. So once they sign you up, they aren't interested in answering any more questions because there's no money in it for them. They focus on potential customers. But this guy will continue to try to help you regardless. He understands the challenges of living in a new country, having lived in NYC for years. So he really wants to help folks and has gone way beyond insurance in helping me.

I don't know what's allowed in the forums, so won't mention a name without approval. :)

Edited by Joe