Sign in to follow this  
Rufina

Important question to the board!

7 posts in this topic

I have a question! Does anyone have practical experience in using thermal mass in passive construction building? We are trying to determine if having a thermal mass in a house in a Mediterranean climate is a plus or if we should avoid that. Anyone out there that has experience living in that climate? Thank you so much for your input.

I don't have any personal experience with thermal mass in my own home, but I know some people who use that. In Canada, passive solar homes with thermal mass are getting excellent results utilizing sun heat in the winter. Sorry, not sure if it is going to work in the Mediterranean climate. For what it's worth...

It looks like the temperature swing in Santiago is between average daily highs average lows are between 22-29 degrees F. In my opinion, a trombe wall, or steel drums  painted black, or other heat sink would be an ideal way to moderate the day and night temperature fluctuations. If you use tile over concrete floors a concrete walls, this would also work as a heat sink if insulated on the outside.Avoiding heat loss at night will be as or more important to temperture stability.

Hello

I heard that concrete or tile floors are not healthy. That if you choose your floors, you should stay with "warmer" materials. Things like wood, cork, etc.
Do you know if anything like that could be used as thermal mass?

Hey, Kyle, I am pretty sure that concrete is not the best thing to have in your house. Wood is much better for sure and more pleasant to walk upon. But how in the world that could be used as a thermal mass?  The answer is no, wood or other materials like it will not give you much of thermal mass. Anyway, welcome to the forum.