FunkyJazzNinja

Energy Source

Primary it would be solar, but it's a good idea to have a very small wind turbine as a backup for bigger houses.
It would be up to the customers and according to their needs.

I love that Sunflower solar set up. I think using regular solar panels on the roof is a safer way to go, less moving parts and much lower chance that something will get out of order.
But Sunflower is looking so good and modern! I hope to see one of those on your project.

Steve, "S" responds to  R, K, C, F, & "O"

http://smartflowersolar.com/faqs/

I found the answer on the above noted web site under Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Does the smartflower produce enough electricity to power a home or business? 

"In the United States and Canada, most homes consume more electricity in a year than can be produced by one smartflower or the typical rooftop system. And certainly the same is true for most American and Canadian businesses. For most homes and businesses which are already connected to the grid, a solar system serves to reduce, not eliminate, the customer’s reliance on the grid.

For those customers who are focused on entirely meeting meet their electricity requirements from a renewable source they control, the best approach is to use several smartflowers or to pair smartflowers with other renewable energy generators, like a wind turbine, or geothermal, or even rooftop or ground mounted solar panels.

One smartflower may, however, provide more than enough energy to power a cabin, cottage or tiny house. One smartflower may also provide enough electricity to power a remote agricultural watering station, a highway rest stop, an electric bike recharger, or a myriad of other uses that do not have heavy energy needs. For all of these customers, their limited energy requirements can be fully satisfied by the smartflower."

I did the underline.

Best regards,

Steve

I have a Question for D Koshuba, The founder. What is the  elevation on the east (mountain)  side of the property at the river and the west (Beech) side. I was wondering if there was any possibility of Developing a small hydro plant or an old paddle wheel on the river to turn a generator? Is there always water in the river or is it seasonal?  Just a thought. Best regards, Steve

Steve, last year I have done a topo map of the property.

The elevation by the river at the lowest point is at 96 meters above the sea level. The highest point of the property at the entry is about 125 meters. The clubhouse is at about 123-meter mark.

In the video, we used real data from the topography of the property, it is still a cartoon but will give you an idea how it looks like.

The river in the back is often almost dry in the summer, and will not work for any electricity production. Water is a very important commodity in the area, all those wineries around require a lot.

Thanks for asking, Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify. I will be looking into the forum more often now.

Take care

In Germany, people use way less energy. For example, my brother built a 3,000 sqft house a few years back, and his average daily consumption is about 8 KW. His solar panel system can support him completely. He is connected to the grid, this way he can sell his excess energy. He is producing more energy than his seven people family consumes. From a German point of view, the amount of energy Americans waste is off the charts.

Dear Rufina, If you get a chance would you please ask your brother to send you a bill of material list on the solar system  he uses on his home. I would be very interested in looking into a system like that for myself. The German people are way ahead of the US in technical and engineering of solar systems. Germany is much more aggressive than the states in going green. I have nothing but admaratson for Germany leading the way to a sustainable future. 

By the way, you are right about Americans  wasting energy. We also waste  every other resource you can imagine like water , trees & gas. The amount of trash we generate per person is also out of this world. It was a real eye opener when I went to Switzerland, how far ahead they were over us.

A few more questions for D Koshuba 

Have you drilled a water well on the property and if so, at what depth did you hit water?

Have you tested the water to see if it is safe to drink? 

Do you know what the adverage wind speed is in the area?

Do you have a good idea of wow much solar energy is available?

Thank you in Advance for your time.

Would you consider telling us your first name for ease of communication?

Steve

Steve, thanks for the questions.

We have a well on the property, not far from the proposed clubhouse location. The elevation of that spot is about 105 meters above sea level. The water table is high, and the depth of that well is only 6 - 7 meters. (that's what I was told by the seller) The water level is almost all the time at about 4 meters from the surface.  I did not dare to try the water, but that is often what people use here, they don't go very deep.

I have spoken recently with several local contractors that offer well-drilling services and have been told that in order to get to the better quality water I would need to drill 20+ meters. In my opinion, I would try to drill more than that. (I managed well drilling before in Africa and have a little bit of experience).

People in this area said that the water quality here is good, Don't have data to support that at this point.

I can't say in data anything about the wind in this area. I am pretty sure that small wind turbine will work just fine. I have seen one of those on a gas station nearby, spinning very good. Also every day there is a good wind that changes direction few time a day. In the evening wind from the Andes comes pushing in cold air. By the way, right now every day we have 90F at daytime and 55F at night. That fresh air from the mountains helps a lot.

On solar - we have plenty of that here, same like in San Diego I think but with Napa Valley temperature.

You can refer to me with just D, I like to maintain my privacy as much as it is possible. Thanks for understanding.

Best regards, D.

D, Thank you for the quick response. Given the shallow depth of the water table, I would think that basements would not be a good option in this area. Am I wrong? I can handle the 55- 90 Deg. temperature. swings no problem. I hope that the humidity is not supper high. This is where proper insulation, overhang, orientation and ventilation come in to play.  Thanks again. I did officially ask you for more information today. Hope to learn all I can. Thank you again. Steve

Steve, about half of the lots are at the higher elevation and to have a house with a basement on those lots would not be a problem at all.

Humidity problem does not exist here; it is dry, identical to Napa Valley. I just had to take a road trip to Buenos Aires right before New Year and weather on the other side of Andes is opposite, hot and humid.

I just send you an email, responding to your request on our website. Thanks again for your questions, this helps us to keep other people informed about our project. Best regards, D.

Thanks again D. I would definitely prefer a higher elevation. In addition, thanks for confirming that humidity is not a problem. I have a sister in Florida, and as soon as the door is opened on the airplane, you start to sweat. Arizona, down around Tucson is more of a dry heat that does not bother me at all. For some reason I did not get you are E-mail. If you would try again at smfitz@excite.com     I would be great full. I started another topic this morning on Health care as well. I want you to know that I appreciate you taking your time to answer questions. I know you are busy. Best regards, Steve

On 1/8/2018 at 8:59 PM, smfitz@excite.com said:

Dear Rufina, If you get a chance would you please ask your brother to send you a bill of material list on the solar system  he uses on his home. I would be very interested in looking into a system like that for myself. The German people are way ahead of the US in technical and engineering of solar systems. Germany is much more aggressive than the states in going green. I have nothing but admaratson for Germany leading the way to a sustainable future. 

Hi Steve,
I talked to my brother, but he doesn't have a list of materials or such. He said, "well I just had a company come out and install the whole system."
He gave me that companies website.
https://www.senec.com.au/

Also, I asked him, and he sent me a couple of pictures of the system he has.

6de22cd2-0270-4b29-bdb8-584b2ef623da.JPG

ab3ed777-4c56-4176-9378-1805a0945e2c.JPG