Sign in to follow this  
OffGrid Thinker

Off the grid greenhouse

3 posts in this topic

I have a question about the greenhouse. The way I understand you are building off the grid community. How will that work with a greenhouse? In your video, I can see that you will have solar panels on top of a greenhouse, but aquaponics requires lots of energy. I think that it will not be enough to run everything just on solar. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Yes, usually greenhouses consume a lot of energy. However, there are many ways to lower the consumption need.

I currently live in a house that is completely powered by solar panels, and we are even selling the surplus to the grid. For our heating needs, we are using a geothermal system. We use solar water heating panels to heat the water in the water heater.

Similar systems will be used for the greenhouse. It is much more effective to control the temperature in the greenhouse by heating or cooling the water in the aquaponics beds using geothermal system vs. conventional ways of doing it.

We would like to hear your ideas on how to build an off-grid greenhouse. Does anyone know any other effective ways to do it?

An off the grid greenhouse is a very good idea. High prices of high-quality organic food reflect much more than the cost of growing. A large portion of it is shipping, transportation, and energy costs as well as distribution markups. An off the grid greenhouse set up cancels out all of those unnecessary expenses. And this becomes truly an "eat local" deal.