Sign in to follow this  
Rufina

What are the most important things to address in CCR's to protect everyone without unnecessary over regulation?

11 posts in this topic

While we are creating the Codes Covenants and Restrictions, we would love to hear your opinion on what you think is important to cover.

I think that the most important thing for your structure is to come up with a solid set of rules or “laws” if you may, and there to be one individual or a very small group in charge. There will always be the “their dog killed our cat, what are you going to do about it” or the "they park on our lawn, are too noisy, smelly, put up that ugly thing in their lawn”” they get to eat too much of the meat" etc.

Answer questions like. What is the local law? Does it rule over the community? Are there covenants? Where does one go for resolve and who is in authority, in charge? How will it be enforced? Will there be a community militia?

I have too often seen that the dream is wonderful, the land and structures beautiful but in fruition, the emotions rule over all and not handled quickly, firmly and justly, black clouds set in sometimes creating hurricanes.

It is important to address the following things:

Transparency - I think it's good to let everyone know what is happening in the subdivision via email, newsletters, web, etc.

Non-aggressive enforcement - what I mean is if someone complains check it out and then act accordingly. Don't go around looking for violations when no complaint exists.

Allow realistic time frames to get fixes done.

A properly run and managed HOA can be a very good thing, and a poorly managed HOA can be a disaster. Many problems arise when homeowners stop attending HOA meetings. Often good people from neighborhood sit home and do nothing and sore losers get on board of directors and start terrorizing everyone.

I am a real estate agent and I have buyers that insist "No HOA", so we go and view homes in non-HOA subdivisions, and then they complain:
"I can't believe that someone would paint their house this ugly color!"
"I don't like to look at the huge boat parked in the neighbor's driveway!"
"Does everybody in this area here have a project car in their driveway?"
"Why do they have 2 tiny houses on wheels parked in their backyard? Is it a mobile home park?"

But after that, they still insist that they want to live in a subdivision where there is no HOA. People just love to hate the HOA, and yet, they can not live without.
Just keep the rules in the subdivision fair and people will benefit while still complaining about it.

Edited by agent404

As a home owner, I would like to have access to the financial books. If money is handled in an improper way, the home owners have a chance to catch it early on and avoid big losses.
It always seems strange to me if the HOA is not willing to share what is going on financially.

In the restrictions, I would like to see only major things addressed. I would not like to see the HOA govern over little, unimportant issues.

I consider major issues to be things like :

Are mobile homes allowed?
Is vacation rental allowed?
How many structures are allowed on one lot?

And little, unimportant things are:

How many pets can I have?
The trampoline cover has to be black only!
Walking dogs before 7 am is prohibited!
What color flowers are allowed in the front yard?

I agree! Also, I think what is very important that when owners want to implement something new, that they don't have to get all 100% of property owners to agree. I think it should be a majority like 75% of people, but not all. Sometimes a good change needs to be made, and only one or two owners can veto the whole process.