Sign in to follow this  
Sophia

Type of fish

I would like to look at salmon as well. Tastes great and is good for you. I know they farm salmon, and catfish  also.  both are great to eat and high in protein and  minerals. Possibly shrimp , crab and lobster  would  be quite tasty. Do we have any fish farmers out there?

I am not a fish farmer and have insufficient knowledge of the subject. I am pretty sure that the first thing to consider is the climate. Salmon and trout could be raised in aquaponics in theory if you are prepared to pay an enormous energy bill. It’s more cost efficient to choose a fish better suited to your climate. In Canada, we have some aquaponics farmers that raise trout, never heard of anyone working with salmon.

Thanks Bruce,

Well hopefully we will find someone with in depth knowledge of fish farming.  I did find this site. K-State is a great resource.

https://www.wildlife.k-state.edu/kaa/directory.html

Wow and check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture_in_Chile

according to : 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaculture 

I found this statment :

Some 16 countries now use geothermal energy for aquaculture, including China, Israel, and the United States.[129] In California, for example, 15 fish farms produce tilapia, bass, and catfish with warm water from underground. This warmer water enables fish to grow all year round and mature more quickly. Collectively these California farms produce 4.5 million kilograms of fish each year.[129]

I looks like there is a lot of science that goes in to fish farming. I do like the Idea of usinggeothermal energy to get the water temperature where you need it. That would trim the energy required.

Steve

Steve, that actually is the plan. To use the tank under the greenhouse and geothermal heat pump to warm the water in the system. This is the most efficient and cost-effective way, in our opinion, that we were able to find at this time.

Rufina,

`Based on my quick research, I whole heartedly agree. I think I was just thrown off by the blues tanks with the windows, which did look cool. Going passive geothermal makes for great cost and energy savings. This is a value added change.

Keep up the great work you are doing & Thank you so much.

Steve

PS In my failed attempt to put my picture into the indicator, I ended up with a black circle. If you know how to go back to the way it was or add my ugly mug, I WOULD BE GREATFULL.

Bless you!

Steve